About this Package
BA’KELALAN – THE SWISS ALPS OF THE EAST
Ba’kelalan, is home to about 1,000 Lun Bawang tribes at an altitude of 1,500 feet above sea level. Nestled in the heart of Borneo's world renowned and oldest tropical rainforests is blessed with sub-tropical all day cool and amazingly fresh weather. Day temperature hovers between 25 – 32º celcius while night temperature drops to around 15º Celsius on some days. The lowest recorded for Ba’kelalan is 10º Celsius. And is reachable either by Maswings Twin Otter regular weekly flights from Lawas or by driving. Driving by 4 X 4WD from Lawas is through a timber road which passes through Lun Bawang mountain villages and winding through hills, mountains and valleys and idyllic cool mountain surroundings.
Ba’kelalan as recorded by Tom Harrison & Hudson Southwell is the origin of wet paddy farming, and in times past, had been extended to Bario, Long Semadoh and beyond. This unique "adan" rice or popularly known as Bario Rice is found only in the highlands of Ba’kelalan, Long Semadoh, Bario and Krayan villages of East Kalimantan.
The Lun Bawang have been in this area for more 200 years and proudly claimed themselves as the "people of this place." They no longer lived in longhouses but most of them have single-family houses. Each family have their own common culture of rice farming, livestock rearing and strong commercial interest and tough physiques bred by centuries of mountain walking.
Ba’kelalan is not only home to its unique 'adan' rice or 'pade dari', and apples but also its Ba’kelalan medicinal rock salt. It has three operating salt springs providing mountain salt that contains high iodine content and other minerals. Several exotic fruits are grown such as Abiu, Ice Cream Bean, Christina, Passion fruits, Avocados, Strawberries and others. Ba’kelalan is also famed for its water buffaloes that are used in the paddy fields, for hauling fire wood and for their meat.
What also makes Ba’kelalan unique is its truly beautiful scenery commonly described as "Swiss Alps". Its rain forest covered mountains are forever green and inviting. The mountains, valleys, rivers, flora and fauna and wildlife are pretty unspoilt and had been so for generations. Ba’kelalan is one of the most beautiful places, peaceful with all its hidden treasures. The people inhabiting the area are likewise unique in their culture and traditions. It's a land of the friendly smiles from the young and the old. The people make you feel you are truly at home and is one of them. This sets Ba’kelalan apart from the rest. The sights and sounds of Ba’kelalan are there to beckon.
- Accommodation for 2 nights at selected Homestay Malaysia in Ba’kelalan.
- Basic amenities, Twin Share basis, shared bathroom & toilet.
All ground transportations as per itinerary with English and Bahasa Malaysia speaking Tour Guide.
Depart from Miri or Lawas to Ba’kelalan by MASWING airlines. Lunch at Homestay. After lunch depart by 4WD to Buduk Bui Salt Spring witness the process of Salt making. Return to Homestay for Dinner and overnight.
OPTION: To overnight at the Slat spring at no extra surcharge.
At 0600hrs, we trek up to Bukit Sarui for Sunrise view (Only if the weather permits) Trek time is between 1hr to 45mins pending very much on one’s fitness. Enjoy the beautiful and scenic. Return to Homestay for Breakfast. By 1000hrs, we depart by 4WD to Merarap Hot Spring. Enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. Weather permits, we will be able to view the magnificent Batu Lawi. As we travel, we will pass along many villages along the way all of which are the Lun Bawang Tribes. Journey to Merarap hot Spring is about 4hrs on. Arrive at Merarap Hot Spring and Lunch. Afternoon take some short treks around the area and late evening take a deep soak in the Hot Spring pool.
- DAY 3
- Breakfast. Overland transfer by 4WD to Lawas with a stopover at Long Lidung Tagang System. Spent about 30mins here. If water level is low and clear, you might love to feed the fish or even step into the river and feel the fish swimming playfully around your legs and feed them from your palms.
- Please note that, as this is a community base activity therefore an entrance fee is charge accordingly. Proceed to Lawas town for Lunch and thereafter transfer to Lawas Airport for your flight out.
- End of tour.
PRICE A (TRANSFER TO LAWAS BY 4WD):
- RM 1,988.00 (2 pax)
- RM 1,560.00 (3-5 pax)
- RM 1,415.00 (6-8 pax)
- RM 1,396.00 (9-12 pax)
PRICE B (TRANSFER TO LAWAS BY MASWings):
- RM 1,753.00 (2 pax)
- RM 1,404.00 (3-5 pax)
- RM 1,260.00 (6-8 pax)
- RM 1,240.00 (9-12 pax)
NOTE: Terms and Conditions applied.
- Meals (HALAL) as per itinerary with local delicacies.
- Please let us know if you have any food allergies or special dietary needs.
- Accommodation as states, meals as per itinerary, all ground transportation + 4WD as per itinerary (Ba’kelalan / Merarap Hot Springs / Lawas), English and Bahasa Malaysia speaking guide.
- Transportation: 4WD seat capacity maximum of 3 pax per vehicle.
- Term & condition applied.
- Domestic airfare and/or International airfare to/from Malaysia (quoted separately, if requested).
- Optional tours.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Personal expenditure includes drinks, souvenirs, laundry, camera fees, communications, postage, gratuities, etc.
- MASWINGS airline have 3 days weekly from Miri via Lawas on Wednesday, Monday, and Saturday.
- Booking can be done online at www.maswings.com.my
- If you are on a transit flight to your next destination, we can arrange a representative to meet you during your transit in Miri and store the luggage for you (not included in the package; charges depend on size and weight of luggage).
- Even if the package is booked on private basis, transfers & activities in the homestay may be on shared basis in order to minimise impacts on the natural environment or if other circumstances require so.
- Rooms at the homestay are private twin-share rooms. Toilets and bathrooms (dip & splash method) are on shared basis.
WHAT TO BRING:
· Good grip shoes / Adidas Kampung shoes.
· Extra socks.
· Rucksack water bottle.
· Bring your own small first aid kits.
· Insect repellent.
· Sun block lotion.
· Lightweight sleeping bag.
FOR BOOKING & INQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT THE NUMBER GIVEN BELOW:
- Contact Person: Ms Rona Sultan
- Mobile Number: +60 16-885 8275
- Heart of Borneo Tours & Travel SDN BHD
- Lot 6790, 2nd Floor, Block 5, Commercial Centre,
- Jalan Kuching, Taman Tunku, 98000 Miri, Sarawak.
- Tel: +60 85-612 228
- Fax: +60 85-612 228
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.heartofborneotours.com/